Central New York is a term used to broadly describe the central region of New York State, roughly including the following counties and cities:
- Cayuga County – Auburn
- Cortland County – Cortland
- Madison County – Oneida
- Oneida County – Rome, Sherrill (smallest city in New York) & Utica
- Onondaga County – Syracuse (largest city in the region)
- Oswego County – Fulton & Oswego
- Tompkins County – Ithaca
- Otsego County - Cooperstown
Under this definition, the region has a population of about 1,177,073, and includes the Syracuse metropolitan area.
Sometimes Chenango County (pop 51,401) is considered to be part of Central New York.